Directed by Jaydeep Sarkar, Hridaye A. Nagpal, and Shubhra Chatterji, the series is a VICE Studios Production, and features Trinetra Haldar, Aishwarya Ayushmaan, Daniella Mendonca, Aneez Saikia and Sanam Choudhary, Soham Sengupta and Suresh Ramdas, and Sadam Hanjabam
The 35th annual GLAAD Media Awards ceremonies will take place in Los Angeles on
March 14, 2024, and in New York City on May 11, 2024
MUMBAI — Prime Video, India’s most loved entertainment destination, has earned a nomination in the ‘Outstanding Documentary’ category at the prestigious GLAAD Media Awards for Rainbow Rishta, its unscripted Original series that explores the theme of queer love. This historic nomination marks the first time an Indian unscripted series on queer-love is being acknowledged at this prestigious award. The GLAAD Media Awards, founded in 1990, are recognized as the most prominent annual LGBTQ awards show in the world, sending powerful messages of acceptance to audiences worldwide. The ceremonies for the 35th Annual GLAAD Media Awards will be held in Los Angeles on March 14, 2024, and in New York City on May 11, 2024.
Rainbow Rishta, which premiered on Prime Video in November 2023, is a first-of-its-kind series for any Indian streaming service that beautifully encapsulates six real-life love stories and experiences of members from the LGBTQIA+ community from India who move mountains to make their seemingly impossible dreams come true. The six narratives weave a vibrant tapestry, encompassing a range of stories such as vow exchanging ceremony between a doting couple, the dilemma of a 30 year old drag queen navigating their first date, the challenges faced by a young lesbian couple in Assam in search of a home, the story of a solitary man hoping to find love again, a doctor/ actor’s tryst of evading the world of casual dating, and a couple embarking on an adventurous road trip to Hampi to test the waters. Amusing, endearing, motivational, and innovative, these narratives are intricately linked through a common theme - the profound expression of love. They delve into the realms of seeking companionship, taking bold risks, nurturing families, grappling with loneliness, and collaboratively building homes.
Showcasing myriad facets of love, the series is a VICE Studios Production, written by Monisha Thyagarajan, Navin Noronha, and Sneha Nair, and is directed by Jaydeep Sarkar, along with story directors – Hridaye A. Nagpal and Shubhra Chatterji.
“Rainbow Rishta is a celebration of love in its myriad forms, presenting a compelling and diverse exploration of human connections and resilience. It’s a moment of true pride and honor for us to be nominated at the 35th edition of the prestigious GLAAD Media Awards and we express our gratitude to our creators for delivering this authentic representation, and a heartfelt appreciation to our cast for graciously allowing us into their lives,” said Aparna Purohit, head of Originals, India and Southeast Asia, Prime Video. “At Prime Video, we firmly believe that diversity, equity and inclusion, is not just needed, it is essential at every stage and in every sphere of our lives. Rainbow Rishta fearlessly shines a light on the lows, highs, and the challenges encountered by the members of the LGBTQIA+ community and serves as an evidence that inclusive storytelling can transcend all geographical and linguistic borders, and contribute towards demystifying and dismantling the biases that persist globally against the queer community. The nomination at GLAAD Media Awards reinforces our commitment to fostering narratives that not only entertain but also challenge perceptions and contribute towards a more inclusive and an accepting world.”
Series director Jaydeep Sarkar said, “Being recognized and appreciated for their efforts and work is truly fulfilling for any filmmaker, but being nominated at a coveted and prestigious award, such as the GLAAD Media Awards, is a matter of great pride for me and the entire team that worked tirelessly to bring Rainbow Rishta to life. Through an unbiased lens we tried to give authentic queer stories about love, freedom, triumphs, and choices a place in the mainstream. Rainbow Rishta aims to put personhood and humanity before labels, as it navigates the path of self-acceptance, extending from within to friends, family, and society. Everyone who worked on this docuseries was deeply empathetic towards the theme and I believe this incredible synergy of love and acceptance has been felt and appreciated by the audiences the world over, and now being recognized by the GLAAD Media Awards.”
Samira Kanwar, of VICE Studios, sharing her thoughts on the nomination said, “Rainbow Rishta is a show made with love, about the universality of love. While building out the series, we knew we wanted the series to spark conversations, build empathy and break preconceived notions, all whilst staying authentic to the experiences of the LGBTQAI+ community. We are so grateful to our incredible cast who allowed us into their lives in honest and moving ways, and to the fantastic crew who recognised the importance of what we were making - together we have genuinely created something incredibly important and real. The docuseries being nominated for Outstanding Documentary at the 35th GLAAD Media Awards, is truly a testament to the heart and soul that everyone who worked on it brought to this show and something we are truly proud of at VICE Studios.”
Founded in 1985, GLAAD is a non-profit organization focused on LGBTQ advocacy and cultural change. Since their inception in 1990, the GLAAD Media Awards have grown to be the most visible annual LGBTQ awards show in the world, sending powerful messages of acceptance to audiences globally. Honoring those in the media who have shown exemplary achievements for fair, accurate, and inclusive representation of the LGBTQ community and the issues that affect lives, the 35th Annual GLAAD Media Awards promises to deliver a sparkly mix of red-carpet arrivals, iconic main stage moments, and an impactful message that demonstrates the value of representation and inclusion of LGBTQ people within all forms of media.
ABOUT PRIME VIDEO
Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers Prime members a collection of award-winning Amazon Originals, thousands of movies and TV shows—all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place.
Prime Video is just one of the many benefits of a Prime membership, available for just ₹1499/ year. Amazon Prime is designed to make your life better every single day as it provides the best of shopping, savings, and entertainment in one single membership. In India, members get Free Same-day/1-day delivery on eligible items, access to exclusive deals, early access to shopping events, exclusive access to our global shopping event Prime Day; and unlimited access to award-winning movies & TV shows with Prime Video, unlimited access to more than 100 million songs, ad-free and millions of podcast episodes with Amazon Music, a free rotating selection of more than 3,000 books, magazines and comics with Prime Reading, access to monthly free-in game and benefits with Prime Gaming. Prime members can also earn unlimited 5% cashback on all purchases on Amazon.in using the Amazon Pay ICICI Bank credit card i.e., Co-Branded Credit Card (CBCC) as compared to 3% for customers without Prime membership. Go to www.amazon.in/prime to learn more about Prime.
- Included with Prime Video: Thousands of acclaimed TV shows and movies across languages and geographies, including Indian films such as Shershaah, Soorarai Pottru, Sardar Udham, Bawaal, Gehraiyaan, Jai Bhim, Jalsa, Shakuntala Devi, Sherni, Narappa, Sarpatta Parambarai, Kuruthi, Joji, Malik, Pippa and #HOME, along with Indian-produced Amazon Original series like Indian Police Force, Farzi, The Family Man, Mirzapur, Dhootha, Jubilee, Dahaad, Made in Heaven, Panchayat, Jee Karda, Adhura, Four More Shots Please!, Mumbai Diaries, Suzhal – The Vortex, Sweet Kaaram Coffee, Modern Love, Paatal Lok, Bandish Bandits, Cinema Marte Dum Tak, AP Dhillon: First of a Kind, Rainbow Rishta, Wedding.con, Mission Start Ab and Amazon Original movies like Maja Ma, Ammu, Mast Mein Rehne Ka, among others. Also included are popular global Originals like Citadel, The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power, Reacher, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, The Boys, Hunters, Fleabag, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, The Wheel of Time and many more, available for unlimited streaming as part of a Prime membership. Prime Video includes content across Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Punjabi, and Bengali.
- Prime Video Mobile Edition: Consumers can also enjoy Prime Video’s exclusive content library with Prime Video Mobile Edition at ₹599 per year. This single-user, mobile-only annual video plan offers everyone access to high-quality entertainment exclusively on their mobile devices. Users can sign-up for this plan via the Prime Video app (on Android) or website.
- Instant Access: Prime Members can watch anywhere, anytime on the Prime Video app for smart TVs, mobile devices, Fire TV, Fire TV stick, Fire tablets, Apple TV, and multiple gaming devices. Prime Video is also available to consumers through Airtel and Vodafone pre-paid and post-paid subscription plans. In the Prime Video app, Prime members can download episodes on their mobile devices and tablets and watch anywhere offline at no additional cost.
- Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
- Video Entertainment Marketplace: In addition to a Prime Video subscription, customers can also purchase add-on subscriptions to other streaming services, as well as, get rental access to movies on Prime Video.
- Prime Video Channels: Prime Video Channels offers friction-free and convenient access to a wide range of premium content from multiple video streaming services all available at a single destination – Prime Video website and apps. Prime Members can buy add-on subscriptions and enjoy a hassle-free entertainment experience, simplified discovery, frictionless payments, and more.
- Rent: Consumers can enjoy even more movies from new releases to classic favourites, available to rent – no Prime membership required. View titles available by visiting primevideo.com/store. The rental destination can be accessed via the STORE tab on primevideo.com and the Prime Video app on Android smart phones, smart-TVs, connected STBs, and Fire TV stick.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES: